About Me

My photo
Welcome I've been a very busy wife, mother, puppy sitter, wreath & silk floral designer for 25+ yrs. I've been interest in beautiful designs for as long as I remember. I've dreamed about having my own shop, where I can design & create pieces that are not only beautiful but unique & very colorful. That dream is now a reality! A huge thanks to my husband for donating office space for me, my son for all his help when needed & finally my daughter Melissa, a NYC Director of Marketing & Digital Media for teaching me about business, marketing & turning my hobby into a growing business. It started out just for family & friends, craft shows, open houses, now ETSY, eBay, twitter, & Facebook. Since I am now an official empty nester, I've expanded my business to decorating homes, business storefronts for the holidays, & staging homes for realtors. I really love what I do. I'll be happy to share my thoughts, decorating tips, creative ideas, my daily, sometimes crazy thoughts & adventures in the life of a mom, wife, floral/ holiday/home staging designer etc... Enjoy! Sandy

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In My Yard It's Thanksgiving Every Day!!!


Happy Tuesday!

Just a quick little blog..... I thought I would post this very little story along with the pictures I took from my back yard. Just for your entertainment!  Every day around 10:00am and 3:30pm my 3 dogs start howling and barking and after 10 years I know what that means......turkeys!  Yep I said turkeys.... I live in a residential neighborhood by a high school in the middle of a busy  little town, not a farm to be seen haha, and every day, except of course around Thanksgiving (how smart are they ;) twice a day we have a parade of about 20 to 30 huge turkeys.  No idea where they come from, where they go at night, (don't want to know) but I can tell time by their visits, and of course the dogs, howling and barking until they decide to go to the neighbors yard.... I never seem to have a camera handy when they make their appearance but yesterday I had the camera in hand!  So I'm posting the pictures because people would never believe it or the size of them. Just imagine what 20-30 look like in my yard!  I did get a pretty good picture of 4 of them, the rest were soon to follow, about 20 and some babies.  It's pretty rare to see them with their feathers out.  Two are male and two are female. The guys are the ones fanning their feathers and strutting their stuff to attract the attention of the 2 ladies!  (so typical..... haha)   Enjoy.......
  
The boys!

The girls and boys!

NOW... BACK TO BUSINESS!


I did manage to get to my shop and I got quite a bit accomplished! Enjoying and sometimes dancing (haha) to my music, drinking my coconut flavored iced coffee, I started piecing about 6 wreaths and 4 silk floral arrangements.  I had ideas what I wanted to do all day and it started to flow. I was able to complete 2 (shown below) and the rest probably tonight!  I have a custom order that I can't wait to start, a wreath for a customer who sent me a picture of the colorful wallpaper covered wall where she would like it - so I can match or coodinate the wreath with it!    What a great idea!  So that's my next project. When it's done I'll post the before and after!



I also started to piece out some of my.... do I dare..... Christmas items and ideas! It's my busiest season and I have several craft shows that I do.  I'll post them as I get the dates. I love my holiday snowman arrangements, (pictued below, this one available for sale!) probably my favorite pieces to do.  I create winter family scenes out of whimsical little plush snowmen, sometimes other interesting creatures, trees, wooden birdhouses, you name it I try to put it in. Many of my customers like me to custom make arrangements to represent their family members.... and because family is so important to me,  I really get so much joy out of making these special arrangements for them! Not to mention my newest project, pre-decorated Christmas trees! LOVE doing these! I've done up to 6 ft. pencil trees, (pictured below, that one is sold) (special order only) but make anywhere from 2 ft. to the most popular 4 ft.  My husband loves ;) ;) when I have to take them to the craft shows along with ALL the other things, haha.....usually I make about 15-20 4ft. and about 10 2ft. tabletop trees.  The 4 ft. ones are in heavy plaster, sometimes cast iron bases, he particularly loves those ;) ....  What a good sport!  Thankfully, we usually only have to bring one or two back to the shop.... 
  



Enjoy the day!   Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment